Monday, June 22, 2009

Mosaic Monday

A few years ago I had the privilege of touring the Vatican Mosaic Studio. I have a little sample of the smalti (glass) as a souvenir which, despite turning my house upside down, I can't seem to find! The reproductions in mosaic of some of The Masters works are just stunning! It is very painstaking work and can take years to complete one piece. The quality of the pictures I took that day is not the best but I do have some from an exhibit in New Orleans which I visited a while back.



Please click on the pictures to enlarge.










1 comment:

  1. I once visited the Vatican mosaic studio too. I remember a sunflower and an eye... works in progress. And drawers and drawers of beautiful glass bits. It was a special day. They really have to be seen to be believed, don't they?!!

    These pictures are amazing - 'specially love the Starry Night!

    ReplyDelete