Thursday, July 9, 2009

Summer vacation in Cuba!

Off in the early morning to Cuba for the second time. The first time we went to Varadero and the fascinating city of Havana. This time we will visit Santa Lucia, about 500 km east of the capital (it is a big island).
Sorry about the quality of these pictures. Last time we were there was in the pre-digital days.


Cathedral de San Cristobal ~ Havana
Finished in 1777, it was given the rank of Cathedral in 1787. For over 100 years-from 1796 to 1898-the body of Christopher Columbus lay in a mausoleum here.


Old world style



New world style and strange forms of public transit


The 1950's cars that are still running!


And then there is Varadero! Beach Fun!


Long walks, long cool drinks and long hours lounging, swimming, and reading!!

I hope that some day my American friends will be able to visit Cuba.
I hope you are all enjoying your summer.
Hasta la vista !

3 comments:

  1. enjoy your vacation! hope to see photos when you get back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. I love the architecture, and the beach! The clouds in the last picture seem to hover above the water....fabulous. Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Cuba looks divine - it has an old-time grandeur - which I suppose has become quite dilapidated and run-down now - but one can still sense the glamour & romance in the architecture. Enjoy your trip - you are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete